Blogging About....

1.10.2011

ScrapGirls Newsletter 01.10.11|Extra Chit Chat

Another Monday is here! That made me think of Office Space (do you have a case of the Mondays?) bwahahaha! Anyway, another Monday and so begins a new week of wonderful ScrapGirls newsletters. FYI: The newsletter is published SIX! days a week and each day there is a freebie. Also, on Tuesdays, there's a recap of the previous week in case you don't want to receive the daily installment. Here's the link for today's newsletter, just in case you haven't read it yet. Monday 01.10.11: It'll Be an Adventure And I do advise reading it. I learned so much today from all of the tips shared by the Layout Artist Team. I'm especially itching to try Charlene's method of dealing with tricky digital reflections. Also, Kerry Veale's designer spotlight was amazing. I'm in awe of how she has gracefully coped with a very difficult life change.

And without further ado, here's my layout featured in the newsletter today. All about crazy gingerbread houses. We had a normally sane house this year. Just didn't have the same spunk!

"Our Crazy Gingerbread House"|Supply List + Links below

Here's my blurb from the newsletter:
"I wanted the berry sprig to appear tucked behind my photo but on top of the green ribbon frame. However, the green ribbon frame was on top of the other layers and I didn’t want to have to rearrange a lot of layers. The solution: using a layer mask. First, I placed the berry sprig layer under the ribbon frame layer. Then, I added a layer mask to the ribbon frame layer (Layer>Layer Mask). Next, I made a direct selection (CTRL+click on berry thumbnail) of the berry sprig layer. This ensured that I would only brush away the part of the frame that covered the berries. Making a direct selection makes it easier and faster to use layer masks to extract finely detailed embellishments."
The main collection I used here is Paula Wright's To You From Me Collection Biggie. It's a lovely Christmas kit full of traditional colors & patterns. I really enjoyed scrapping with it. The only thing that didn't work from this collection for this particular layout was the alpha. Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely alpha but it was too traditional for the title work I wanted to do. I wanted the alpha to be a bit quirky, just like our crazy gingerbread house so I used the alpha from Trish Yochum's Main St. Holiday Collection. The letters 'C, R, Z, & Y" were a different color originally; I simply adjusted the color using Image>Adjust Hue/Saturation. This is one of the main advantages of digi-scrapping. Of course, if you're a paper scrapper, you can change the color of your alpha stickers by using paint or covering with patterned or solid paper. Not as easy as a click of the mouse, but not impossible either. 


Well, that's it for today! Hope you enjoyed! 
Until next time...


"Our Crazy Gingerbread House" Supply List
Comfort and Joy Collection Mini by Thao Cosgrove
Lettering Delights Monique Font by Lettering Delights
Lettering Delights Scratchy Pen Font by Lettering Delights
Main St. Holiday Collection by Trish Yochum
ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Bow Borders by Paula Wright
ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Clarify 11301 Mini by Heidi Dillon
ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Corner Rounder 5001 Mini by Melissa Renfro
ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Mega Lift I - Squared Biggie by Brandy Murry
ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Photo Borders 6501 by Sarah Batdorf
To You From Me Collection Biggie by Paula Wright
Available Commercial Use Products:
Lettering Delights Monique Font by Lettering Delights
Lettering Delights Scratchy Pen Font by Lettering Delights
ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Bow Borders by Paula Wright
ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Clarify 11301 Mini by Heidi Dillon
ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Corner Rounder 5001 Mini by Melissa Renfro
ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Mega Lift I - Squared Biggie by Brandy Murry
ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Photo Borders 6501 by Sarah Batdorf



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for saying hello!